Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sugared Rose Petal Cupcakes



I had a sudden hankering to try and make some sugared rose petals..they look so pretty in recipe books. So I tried it out, and also made some cupcakes so there was something to put the rose petals on. Not quite as magnificent as what I've seen in the recipe books...but they tasted good. I'll try these again soon.

Rose Petals
Ingredients
1 rose
1 egg white
1 tablespoon water
1/2 cup caster sugar

Method
Whisk 1 egg white with a tablespoon of water.
Using tweezers to handle petals, brush egg white on gently.
Sprinkle with caster sugar.
Let petals dry for a minimum of 1 hour. 

Cupcakes
Ingredients
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 eggs
6 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 cups self raising flower

Method
Cream butter and sugar together and add vanilla. 
Lightly beat eggs and gradually add to butter and sugar mixture. 
Add milk and sifted flour alternately.
Spoon into greased patty pan cases.*
Bake for 10-15 minutes in a pre-heated moderate oven (180*C).

*I used an icecream scoop to put the batter in the cases...a tip I saw on Nigella recently. It worked perfectly...I ended up with nice even cakes.

Cupcake recipe from "The PWMU Centenary Cookbook."

No comments:

Post a Comment